Wednesday, 7 January 2015

Tonight's Aurora Australis


We were lucky again!

I was watching tv when Pete said there were mutterings around the traps that there may be an aurora tonight, and the skies were clear.  It was 9.45pm, still fairly light.  He asked me if I would like to come out with him and I said no, but ring me if it is a good one.  Well, then I checked the sites myself and it was quite a big one, Pete rang to say he could see beams and I packed up my gear and headed off, getting there about 10 past 10.

As I got there, the moon rose, almost a full moon, which is a mixed blessing, in the first instance, we don't have to do really long exposures to get more light, secondly we get these amazing pastel colours but the drawback although slight is that the moonlight can drown out the aurora beams if it is not a strong showing.  This is why the foreground is so light in the pics.

I uploaded all the following pics onto FB and it took out all the pinks lol.

Lucky eh?



First up, my time lapse video that I made, lots more improvement to be made and it goes awfully quickly, but ......


Next we have four still photos.

When I first got there,

Pete packed up his gear and look what happened ..... again !

Beautiful beams !

Starting to die down by now, and I caught the International Space Station



Prints are available of these images, if you are interested, please comment underneath or email ms.jenne@gmail.com and I can arrange pricing, thank you.




No comments:

Post a Comment