Sunday, 4 January 2015

Reminiscing .. 2 years ago today


Two years ago, disaster struck our area.
A 39 degree day, high northerly winds spelling disaster.

I was restless, unable to sleep the night before, getting out of bed, prowling around the windows, but I could not put my finger on why I was feeling so uneasy.  The day dawned, but there was no wind in my location, the temperature was cool.  I thought perhaps the day's forecast would be more mild than they were predicting.  Checked the weather up north of me and it said windy, rang a friend of mine (Marilyn) who said it was really hot and windy where she was, which as the bird flies was only about 40k away.  Hmmmm this is NOT good.

 This is a FB conversation I had with Peter in the morning ....


  • Peter Deck
    Peter Deck
    Hi sweetheart, I might be staying with you for a while if this fire gets to Dunalley and burns my house. Love xxx

  • Jenne Jackson
    Jenne Jackson
    Hi darling, yes since I read that report yesterday I've been concerned about you and Julie, do you have wind up there yet? We have a very light westerly breeze which would be helpful for up there, crossing my fingers for you. xxx

  • Peter Deck
    Peter Deck
    The wind is trying to start up. The clouds are coming from the NW, bringing the fire in our direction. I am keeping an eye on the TFS website for updates. Antony has rung to see if he should come out and help defend the house if it gets here. I said it would probably be non defendable and it would be best if I evacuated down to your place with whatever I could stuff in my car.

  • Jenne Jackson
    Jenne Jackson
    That sounds so awful, hopefully it won't come to that but if needs be, I could come up with trailer so you can 'stuff' even more, wind is picking up a little here, veered north westerly. xxx

  • Peter Deck
    Peter Deck
    I've got my box trailer which would be enough, but I have been debating whether to put that on the car or my boat! I am worried about the Caswells looking at the TFS fire map. I reckon their fire is that close to them that they will have got out. There is a SW change coming through this evening which would really help Dunalley if the fire didn't get here first. There is only light smoke here at the moment, so It will be wait and watch. The power and phone are likely to go off if it gets close so I will leave my mobile on for contact.

  • Jenne Jackson
    Jenne Jackson
    Julie left a couple of messages in TPP FB last night saying it was opposite them and she had evacuated her dogs and had the car packed, I very much doubt she got any sleep. I could come up and collect your boat if necessary anyway xxx

  • Peter Deck
    Peter Deck
    OK darling thanks. I will keep in touch by texting on the mobile. I saw the info by Julie on FB. It all might come to nothing for me, but then again it might not. I will wait and see. Love xxx

  • Jenne Jackson
    Jenne Jackson
    Let's hope so, if it came roaring down your hills behind you there you wouldn't get much warning, keep me advised if you want your boat out, xxx

  • Peter Deck
    Peter Deck
    OK thanks. xxx



How I wish I had gone up to bring something back safely.
The WORST happened.
UTTER DISASTER!

I was keeping an eye out from my balcony because I could see huge clouds of smoke to my north, just EVIL and I was so worried about Peter and Julie who were in the midst of all this.  By now my power had gone.


What I could see







Much more yet to come


It was generating its own weather



No comments:

Post a Comment