Friday, 8 June 2007

#16



I was driving to the shop this afternoon in a light drizzle when the sun came out and I was almost driving in a rainbow, it was the brightest I have seen for some time and was only about 30 metres away, never have I been so close to one .. and of course today was the day I didn't have my camera in my car to record such a beautiful event. So it now exists in my memory.


What am I reading .........Northern Lights by Nora Roberts .. set in Alaska - I haven't read any yet, been busy downloading stuff for my computer to replace what I lost in the big crash.
We've been having lots of nice rain, I am sure my tanks are full now, I do love that lovely pure water, such a pleasure to drink. I've been very lazy regarding my garden, it needs mowing and weeding. When you come down I've lots of jobs in store for you - number one is helping me fill the holes in the driveway, soon I will lose the car in one. It's just gone dark here, sun sets at 4.45pm - rises about 7.30am - a bit different to where you are ay? And I have the heater on .. lovely and toasty here.

It's a long weekend here because of the Queen's birthday on Monday, so far I haven't seen many people up, probably because they are forecasting snow in a couple more days .. not here though, I wonder if I will be able to see it on Mt Wellington from here? If I do I will take a pic.

To continue on past beginnings as per message #8 .. I flew home and of course there was no-one to meet me, I had lent my car to your father, so I had to bus it home from the airport and feeling so horrible it seemed to take a long time. I was home in bed and surprise of all, your dad called in, just in case I had come home early, he was very welcome. He took me to the doctor who said well, guess what, you have scarlet fever, the worst is over, I won't need to give you anything, just take some pain killlers oh and by the way yes you are pregnant !!!!! What a mixed bag ay?
It took me a few days to start feeling as if I were on the mend, this thing affected all my joints one by one, by that I mean one day my wrist would be weak and painful, next it would be my knees, ankles, it travelled all over. I clearly remember crawling around to the toilet because my ankles were weak, next day they would be fine, another day I couldn't hold anything because of weakness in my wrists, then my elbows, so weird. The rash went fairly quickly and I looked as if I was well.

Then I had to tell your dad that he was going to be a dad again, lol, well you should have seen his face, it went dead white - his freckles were outstanding - he had such a stunned expression on his face - then he said he would support me as much as he possibly could given the circumstances. He was pretty cool and recovered quickly, by the time he left to go home I could see he was proud of himself that he still had it in him.

Of course it doesn't rain, it just pours. In the middle of all this excitement Mum rang to say that my friend Greg had died a few days earlier, she had seen the death notice in the paper. He had been a good friend, we had many happy times together and I was very upset. I was so very sorry to have let him down a couple years previously, all he wanted to do was marry and have children and provide, he was the sweetest person. I went to his funeral service and found out from his family that he had married "on the rebound" they could have left that out, and had a daughter. Unfortunately his marriage went wrong and his wife left with the daughter and he couldn't face what life was throwing at him so he tooks his life. I can imagine how he got the courage too, poor little bloke, he would have drank enough rum to numb himself then fallen asleep in his car after making sure it was running with a hose attached from his exhaust. I was, and still am, so sorry - what a waste of a terrific person, he must have been so devastated. I've never heard from his family to this day.

Next I had to tell my boss .... it was tooo funny. I went into his office and said "I've got some news for you".
"Should I be sitting down or standing up?"
"Sitting down. Well, I'm expecting a baby!"
"Who's the father .. not someone from here I hope?" (here being the workplace)
"No, it's no-one you know."
"Well, that's a relief. Who is it?"
"Just someone I met at the club I go to."
"Well I suppose I will have to be looking for a new secretary."
"No."
"Why not? You will be settling down and getting married, you won't be working."
"I won't be getting married."
"Why not?"
"He's already married."
"OH! What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to work as long as possible, have the baby and come back to work."
"Does anyone else know?"
"Apart from the father, you're the first to know."
"So what did he say?"

To appreciate this you would have had to know the relationship we had as boss and employee and I'm not going to go into it now, but suffice to say we both had great respect for each other after 8 years, he was gruff and terse, I was the smartarse.

I kept on working right up to 2 weeks before you arrived, he looked after me as best he could given the constraints of his position, letting me have time off when necessary, and all that stuff because he could not be seen to be giving me any preference.

More later ...........
Love from mum
XXXX

No comments:

Post a Comment