We lost our Sammi last night ...... he was hit and killed by a car.
Since we arrived here 2 months ago I've never been out at night and I never let my cats outside after 7pm. Last night for the first time I went to a celebration dinner for a friend and when I left home at 6.30 the naughty boy slipped between my legs and shot off into the backyard. I couldn't get him and was running late so I crossed my fingers and hoped he would be waiting by the door when I got back home.
Well he wasn't there, and didn't appear at all, I called and called and called. It was an unusually warm night, when it is cold he is such a slob and he would have been waiting. I hardly slept last night, I was up several times calling for him. Not waiting at the door this morning, my heart was sliding down my chest. I called and called and called, I drove around the block just in case I found him. I went next door to see if he might have been locked inside their car but no. When I walked back down the drive I saw little Emily sniffing at something on the other side of the road and when I was closer my heart fell because there was a small brown bundle and it was him. I didn't see him earlier because the ground slopes down there. I didn't want it to be him, I knew it was but it was so terribly hard to come closer and know for sure it was him and that he was dead, no longer to be our big brown huggie bear.
Obviously he was killed outright and didn't suffer but we are. I dug a hole for him out the front near the big stone at the gates. I had already planted a small gum tree for you which I hadn't told you yet so I thought this was a special place for him. I buried him wrapped in a towel and planted some nerines over him then I rang you. We were both in tears on the phone, you were so upset that you never got to say goodbye to sammi.
Sammi was such a cuddler, a big brown burmese only 5 years old and when I held him he used to put his arms around my neck and rest his head on my shoulder, he used to hog the whole of the bed and was such a loveable slob, I wish he hadn't decided to go down to the road last night. Remember when he used to stump around when he was little, he was sooooo funny! Remember when he fitted into the crook of my arm and went to sleep and remember the time he slept so deeply I thought he was dead, lol.
On top of my grieving that you are so far away, now I have to get through this and I am so terribly upset, I'm shaking inside and the tears won't stop rolling down my face, I miss him so much already my special snugglebugs but I am thankful I know what happened to him and that I found him, not knowing what happened would be too much to bear.
Here is his photo. I find it too hard to accept that we won't ever see him again. What a waste of a beautiful big boy.
Love and huggies from Mum.
xxxxx

No comments:
Post a Comment