Friday, 14 April 2006

#1

Well my son, now you are 16-1/2, you have your learner's licence to drive your car, you have a part time job and you have one and almost a half years left of your schooling.  Someone told me to cherish your babyhood because it would be gone in a flash - I scoffed  - how could that time go by in a flash when we were living hour by hour, it seemed that each day was so long back then and that each milestone would take forever to reach.  How wrong I was, it seems only five minutes.  I don't know if you will ever read this, even if I will ever let you know of this blog's existence .... maybe one day.

Each day you grow further apart from me, stepping out a little further to become a fully independent man, it is wonderful to see but at the same time a very sweet sorrow for me. I loved those days when I was number one in your life, I revelled in my nurturing role. I wish I could put an old head on your young shoulders to help shield you from future heartbreaks and mistakes but, well you have to make your own. I did, I left home when I was 16 to make my way in the big bad city, so naive and sheltered as I was, I survived, just as I know you will.

Sometimes I marvel at my good fortune that I am still here when I relive many of those stupid things I did, I hope you survive yours (and other people's) and that you have a happy and safe life. You continually surprise me with the clever things that come out of your mouth, I have to make myself remember that you are not a little boy any more, then you go and do something so basically childish I shake my head and smile. These letters have been prompted by your statement that when you finish your schooling you are leaving home and going down to Melbourne to live and work, leaving me behind to pack up and arrange my new home in Tasmania. I always thought we would stay here in our little home until you were at least .. well 24ish but now life as we know it will be changed forever and another page in our book of life will have turned. Exciting !!!!!!! and yeah somewhat sad for me in many ways. In my next letter I will tell of your early beginnings. Love, Mum. XXXXXXX


No comments:

Post a Comment